On Saturday 23 October 2021, at 11.30, at the Mother House of the Daughters of St. Camillus in Via Giusti, 7, the ceremony took place of the unveiling of the commemorative plaque dedicated to Saint Giuseppina Vannini (1859-1911), the first Roman woman saint of health care, on the occasion of the second anniversary of her canonisation and one hundred and ten years after her death.
The first mother house of the Congregation was located in Via Giusti in 1892 and a centre of the Daughters of St. Camillus, an institute dedicated to service to the sick, the poor and the suffering. Is still be found in this street. In addition, in the room where St. Giuseppina Vannini died, in 2017 a small museum of relics was created dedicated to her and to the co-founder of the Congregation, the Blessed Father Luigi Tezza. A description of this museum can be found in the volume ‘Casa Museo Santa Giuseppina Vannini: Memorie per una santità della porta accanto’ (‘The House of the Museum of St. Giuseppina Vannini: Memories for a Next-Door Holiness’), published by Gangemi Editore International, Rome. St. Giuseppina Vannini’s mission was to bear witness to the always present love of Christ for the sick in a spiritual and corporeal ministry exercised even when there is danger to one’s own life. She emerges as a female saint of the contemporary world who worked in the city of Rome between the end of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth centuries through complete care for the sick both in their homes and through a series of hospital and nursing institutions.